Job Title: Machine Operator/Bundler
Division: Bailey Metal Products Limited – Edmonton
Reports to: Plant Supervisor
Job Purpose Summary
The main purpose of the position is to operate, adjust, and set-up assigned mill lines independently
while meeting production, quality and safety requirements at a 90% average productivity. This
process involves loading and setting up steel coils, and make necessary adjustments for passing steel
strip through roll forms. The individual will operate machinery, bundle pieces, transfer finished
products onto wagons, and monitor the roll forming operation.
The individual should be able to identify immediate quality problems by performing scheduled
sampling as well as performing operator checks as per quality procedures and required product
standards. The individual is expected to manually handle finished products and prepare cartons for
final packaging. The individual is also responsible for compliance with safety acts and regulations.
This position significantly contributes to the overall production function of Bailey Metal Products
Limited. If the materials are produced in time or produced incorrectly, it will have a significant
negative impact on Bailey’s operations.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The responsibilities and accountabilities of the position include but are not limited to the following
- Load steel coil onto uncoilers using crane;
- Tighten uncoiler and cut straps on the coil;
- Guide the steel into processing areas (rolls) using jogging controls;
- Activate machine using control panel by selecting the order type, and clear any jam-ups;
- Set up or adjust rolls and conduct quality inspection to check product conformance;
- Complete all required quality documents, report issues as required;
- Gather products, strap into bundles, place bundles on wagon and apply identification;
- Prepare all required production and safety related reports and forward to the supervisor;
- Complete any other work assigned by Supervisor / Lead hand / Plant Manager;
- Abide by all Health & Safety rules, safe practices and requirements laid out by Bailey
- 1-2 yrs. experience in manufacturing environment is preferred;
- Ability to properly use measuring equipment such as tape measures (imperial and metric),
calipers, micrometers, etc;
• Knowledge of hand tools such as tin snips, tape measures, and calipers etc;
- Able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing;
- Personal attributes include ethical, open-minded, observant, and tenacious;
- Quick learner, team player, yet self-motivated and capable of meeting deadlines.
- A fast-paced, team based environment while meeting all safety requirements;
- Overtime as required;
- Must be physically capable to lifting products up to 50 lbs.
- Ensure that co-workers / helpers work safely and report all unsafe practices;
- No equipment, tools, machinery will be used without authorization and training;
- PPE must be worn as recommended. Loose clothing is not permitted while operating machinery;
- Do not wear gloves while adjusting or feeding steels through rolling mills and while removing jamups. Wear gloves while handling finished products;
- Must wear steel toe safety shoes at all times;
- Do not place hands or fingers near rolls during jogging operation to avoid pinch points;
- Workers must be alert to all forklift traffic and movement in the plant areas;
- At no time will an employee walk under a raised lift of material;
- All manual handling will be performed using proper safe techniques;
- All loose material on the ground or in racks must be picked up during picking orders;
- Report all potential hazards, accidents and near misses promptly to the supervisor;
- Comply with all Bailey’s safety program requirements including ESRTW program.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities and activities required of this position.
view job posting PDF below:
Job Posting - Machine Operator/Bundler - Calgary